"We can only hope that in the time we have alive, we grow, improve and develop...not necessarily into "perfection" but at least consistently becoming better every day"

~~ Michelle Green

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Learning from 9/11


Today is a day of remembrance and pride, for what we lost and for those who ran towards instead of away, from people in need. I believe we need to remember our past to learn from it, both the failures and the successes.

Today as we remember, let us also ponder on how fear and anger can drive people to do things they would not normally do. Let us learn from the treatment of Muslims and "foreign" looking people after 9/11, let us remember the Japanese internment, the Jewish people, the Polish, the Irish, people of Color, the gay's, and now the Mexican immigrants. These are but a few.

The events of 9/11 forever changed our nation. Let's honor those who passed and pray for their family and friends...but also remember the people who helped those in need, the flags that started flying from homes, the pride felt in our country, the empathy and compassion that flowed from hearts.

I am learning that when you are in pain it helps to remember the good. We can choose to remember the act itself ~ or the death itself, or we can choose to remember the gifts that came from this, to individuals as well as to the world, how events and people touch our hearts and make us better people because of them.

I believe those who have past on would want us to better ourselves instead of becoming bitter. I love the quote; "If my child or loved one were here with me today what would they tell me to spend more time doing and what would they tell me to spend less time doing?" I do not believe they would want our hearts to be filled with fear, hatred or anger. Instead let our hearts be filled with compassion, empathy, and love. 

Today I honor those lost during 9/11 and their friends and families. I pray we learn from our adversity, tribulations, and losses. I hope and pray we will never forget those who have gone before us. I also hope because of them and the price they paid, we become better people and continue to grow, not in fear but in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment